Amazing advances in surgical technology have helped reduce the rate of medical malpractice related to surgery and surgical complications, but unfortunately, it has not eradicated the problem. Thousands of Americans are injured each year due to the malpractice of surgeons, assistants, and nurses.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to surgical error, contact our Belleville medical malpractice lawyers at Cates Mahoney, LLC today at 618-277-3644. We will evaluate your case and help you decide if a medical malpractice claim is in your best interests.
Factors That Lead to Surgical Errors
Surgery has transformed modern medicine and has been a leading type of medical intervention in the last 30 years. Numerous techniques have been introduced which make the surgical process safer, including the use of positioning technology and nanotechnology. The progression of surgical intervention technology means that surgeons are able to use less invasive processes to do most surgical procedures, which means that patients are subjected to less risk of infection and are able to recover faster.
However, the advances in surgical medicine have also led to a host of new risks and possible errors. There are a multitude of factors which could lead to a surgical injury. Some of the errors which surgeons, assistants, hospitals, and nurses make include:
- Failure to properly count tools / ensure removal of all surgical devices
- Failure to properly mark surgical site
- Failure to properly sterilize surgical instruments
- Failure to receive informed consent from the patient
- Failure to ensure adequate training / credentialing of surgeon
- Failure to recognize concurrent adverse health events which should be addressed before beginning surgery
- Failure to properly Instruct the patient on proper surgery preparation
- Failure to properly oxygenate the patient
- Failure to properly administer anesthesia
- Failure to properly monitor the patient
- Failure to recognize that patient medication will negatively interact with the surgical procedure
- Failure to recognize patient’s allergies will negatively interact with the surgical procedure
- Defective tools, procedures, or devices used in surgery
- Failure to have appropriate guidelines for the process of surgery
- Failure to follow “Universal Protocol” on surgical interventions
Common Injuries Due to Surgical Errors
Just as the causes of a surgical injury are diverse, so are the injuries which may result. Unfortunately, surgical complications are often serious. Obviously, the risk is dependent on numerous factors, including the location of the surgery, the patient-specific risks, and the competence of the surgeon and his or her team.
A non-exhaustive list of possible surgical complication injuries includes:
- Awareness / pain during surgery
- Birth injuries
- Brain injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Heart attack
- Internal bleeding
- Leakage of fluid into body cavity from improperly sutured intervention
- Spinal / nerve injury
- Wrong-site surgery
Obtaining Compensation After a Surgical Error
If the worst does happen, a serious injury is often times just the beginning. An injured patient, or their family, has to not only worry about recovering from that injury, but also the costs of medical treatment and the cost of lost time at work, among other expenses. It can be an overwhelming experience.
Our Illinois medical malpractice lawyers are well versed in medical malpractice law, having won several significant verdicts and settlements. Many people are unaware that in a patient injured by medical negligence can recover such expenses as:
- Emotional distress
- Loss of quality of life or loss of a normal life
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Wage loss
We will thoroughly investigate your case and help you obtain the maximum recovery possible for your claims.
How A Belleville Surgical Error Lawyer at Cates Mahoney, LLC Can Help
At Cates Mahoney, LLC, we strive to ensure that every victim, and, if appropriate, their loved ones, receive compensation for injuries and other losses that occur as a result of surgical error or any other form of medical malpractice. If you or a loved one has been injured due to medical negligence, we are here to help with your claim.
Call us today at 618-277-3644 for a no cost, no obligation consultation, or use the online contact form to let us know how we can help you. Providing experienced representation throughout Illinois, including the communities of Carbondale, Chester, East St. Louis, Edwardsville, Granite City, Swansea, Waterloo and Madison County, Monroe County and Randolph County.