Trauma to the head can result in serious injuries that have life-altering consequences. After a severe head injury, you may require significant medical treatment and be unable to work. You may be unsure of what to do next. Our Belleville personal injury lawyers can help you decide if a personal injury claim is in your best interests. Contact us today at 618-277-3644 to find out how we can help you.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
Brain injuries are usually referred to in medical literature as TBIs – traumatic brain injuries – but can also be referred to as catastrophic brain injuries. This type of injury usually results to some trauma to the head or body, which causes the head to whip forward and the brain to impact the skull. A TBI can also occur when an object breaks through the skull and enters the brain, causing damage to the brain tissue itself. The common thread is that the trauma has a substantial, lasting, and devastating impact on the brain.
One of the most important aspects after any injury, is to determine if that injury has resulted in any traumatic injury to the brain. It is essential that the victim of TBI seek medical assistance immediately. Symptoms of a TBI include, but are not limited to:
- Mild TBI – headache, fatigue, minor memory loss, inability to concentrate, sleep disturbance, dizziness, irritability, nausea, lightheadedness, change in sense of smell or vision, pupil dilation
- Moderate TBI – memory loss for minutes or hours, confusion, change in any or all senses, discomfort or pain, mild ticking or minor seizures, lethargy, disrupted sleep patterns, mood swings, nausea or vomiting, inability to eat, slurred speech, tingling or weakness in extremities
- Severe TBI – significant or permanent memory loss, loss of motor function, difficulty processing language, loss of any or all senses, seizures, sleep disorders, chronic pain, loss of bowel or bladder control, aggression, depression, lack of awareness, coma or death
There is little that can be done to reverse a brain injury. This is why it is so important to recognize the symptoms as soon as possible and seek medical treatment to obtain stabilization and prevent any worsening of the symptoms.
Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury
Our attorneys have worked with clients who have suffered TBIs in a variety of ways. We know the effects can be devastating, and we are here to help. Common causes of TBIs include:
- Assault & battery
- Aviation accidents
- Birth injuries
- Dangerous premises
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Nursing home abuse / neglect / elder abuse
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slips and falls
- Workplace accidents
Compensation After a Traumatic Brain Injury
If you were injured due to the actions or inaction of another person, you may be able to recover compensation for your losses. Our attorneys are dedicated to helping the victims of negligence and recklessness get the compensation they deserve.
You may be able to recover for the following past and present losses:
- Emotional distress
- Loss of quality of life or loss of a normal life
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
- Wage loss
Sadly, TBIs may result in fatal injuries. If your loved one was fatally injured, you may also be able to recover for the following:
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Grief, sorrow, and mental suffering
- Loss of consortium, or the relationship with your loved one
- Loss of economic support
- Loss of instruction, moral training, and superintendence of education of children
- Medical bills and other expenses incurred prior to the passing of your loved onen
How A Belleville Brain Injury Lawyer From Cates Mahoney, LLC Can Help You
If you have suffered a TBI, we understand that you have a daunting challenge ahead of you that can include long and arduous physical therapy and involve relearning such basic skills as how to speak, read, and write. We understand that the primary concern is your health or that of a loved one who has suffered this debilitating injury. We also understand that you or your loved one will be concerned with ensuring that medical treatment is paid for, and that any losses suffered as a result of the negligent or reckless acts of another will be compensated.
Our Belleville brain injury lawyers will work closely with you and your family to ensure that your losses are compensated. If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury, we may be able to help. Call Cates Mahoney, LLC today at 618-277-3644 or contact us online and let us know how we can help you.